July 3, 2011

Hungry and Grumpy...

What a couple of days!  The "big" school year-end pool party we throw every year turned out pretty small.  The last two years, cool weather caused some kids to hold back in the belief that it might rain.  This time we moved our party to a nice, hot weekend, but I think the fact that it was on a holiday weekend hurt us.  Of the 35 kids invited, only two had the manners to call and RSVP as the invitation required.  My charming son insisted that at least 19 told him they were coming, but only about ten showed.  Those ten included two that told me personally they were not going to be able to make it.  Has the world lost its collective mind and forgotten the purpose of RSVP'ing?  We had soooo many hamburgers, hot dogs and unopened bags of chips in the house.  It won't go to waste with two teens coming to visit for a week, but it's not a good thing for a hungry woman on Weight Watchers to have to face.  Ack!

My weigh-in this morning was not happy.  I'm up a little over a pound.  I thought I'd been so good, then remembered last weekend and the trip to a restaurant without thinking enough about all I ate and drank.  Whoops.

Add to my hunger the not-so-fun and sometimes daily grind of being the mother to attitude-on-legs.  Sometimes I can blow it off, and other days I find myself wanting to whack that boy upside the head, but of course I don't.  I shouldn't say of course.  I really, really wanted to at least whip out the air horn and just blast it until I felt better and his ears were ringing.  Everyone says this ungrateful, eyeball rolling, gasping and wheezing attitude on his part is normal, but it doesn't make me any less cranky.  Fuss, fuss, fuss.  I'm going to get it out of my system and then let it go.

I grump, then delete, grump, then backspace...I think it's time to put away the keyboard and snap out of it.

One more harrumph for the road.  ;-)

3 comments:

  1. It will get better Linda ! they are not teens forever I REMEMBER IT WELL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that. Hated every single moment of it! I empathize with you totally. Teens should be kept in a shed and fed through the door til they turn 21! Whacking may be a NoNo but I must admit my husband put a duck in my daughters bed one day to get her up and moving. Worked too! The attitude didn't get any better though! :)
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois, I laughed and laughed at the image of a duck on the bed. A good friend of mine put her daughter's slimy, algae-covered uncared for turtle on her daughter's bed to drive home the point about needing to care for pets. After the "vacation" I just had (two weeks in Hawaii was SUPPOSED to be fun...) I am reading and rereading posts here to remind me that this too shall pass. He just better hope I don't take a Sharpie permanent marker to his forehead with this expression as my form of constant reminder. Bahaha!

    ReplyDelete