September 4, 2011

The Mind Wanders

Today I took my husband to see the Tim Burton exhibit in Los Angeles.  This is a photo of a banner featuring "Stainboy" on the posts outside the museum.  I saw the exhibit earlier in the summer, but enjoyed it again just as much as the first time.  The sheer volume of his sketches and doodles are enough to make me think about how much better my art would be and how many more ideas I'd remember if I sketched and doodled every day.  Clearly I need to follow through on the notion of carrying a small sketch pad in my purse.

The skies have suddenly and unexpectedly turned gloomy and grey, making it too dark for me to work on painting the rocking chair.  Instead, I turned to blog surfing.  Once again, my mind zips from one thought to another, inspired by the mass of prolific bloggers willing to share what they do, with the sheer volume of work produced filling my head with ideas about new things I want to try.  I'm back at having too many ideas in my head, my brain wandering so much that I get nothing accomplished.  Time to drag out the sketch book, jot down the ideas, doodle some visual reminders of new ideas and actually move ahead with making art.

In the meantime, our charming adult daughter has some new challenges in life that will have my studio functioning as a guest room a few days a week for quite a while.  Planning my work time is going to become even more crucial now that I will be sharing the space.  The trade off is worth it; I will have more time with my daughter.  Our little family is back to four in the house these few days a week, and we're enjoying having fun family dinners at the actual dinner table in the actual dining room instead of the usual three of us lumping around the coffee table in front of a television during dinner.  Silver linings abound.

Time to doodle.

1 comment:

  1. just found your blog today when i was looking for examples of work by gramstad.
    i started reading your most recent entries and really commisserated )sp) with you. you tell things as they are. so many other blogs are either putting up a front or dreaming.
    anyway, i'm a painter who spends most of her time making decent meals, today was barley leek soup, and then i am too tired to do any art. right now, i am trying to finish adding red ribbon roses to a 1940's black purse and also trying to finish a self-portrait puppet that i started about 6 years ago and i am now covering the original paper mache head with paper clay. now i have to try to send this comment by signing into google which i haven't done for awhile. then i'm gonna go have some soup.
    bye from wisconsin
    nancy

    ReplyDelete