December 22, 2011

Bah Humbugging as a Sport

Is it just me?  Everyone on the roads and in all of the shops seem to be less than courteous or even civilized these days.  The holidays used to bring out the best in many people, but these days it seems to bring out the worst.  While running errands yesterday, I can say with all confidence that I felt like the only person left on planet Earth that used the words, "Excuse me" or "Pardon me."  Seriously.  After one errand, I encountered a family with elders, one of which was clearly experiencing a medical emergency.  I called for help and stayed until help arrived, offering my cell phone for their use while we waited for paramedics.  How sad that they seemed surprised to receive help!  I spent the rest of the day in holiday traffic, letting bedraggled shoppers trying desperately to get out of parking lots and into the clogged roads go ahead of me, hoping they'll pass it on and be kinder on the road.

Today I am going to be busy shopping for holiday meals, wrapping gifts and enjoying holiday music playing loudly.  I may even bake some cookies (or buy some and smear flour on my face to make it look like I did again :-)  There's got to be at least one house in the neighborhood where the occupants aren't trying to perfect their bah humbugging skills.  No art, but lots of time on mom duty.

2 comments:

  1. just wanted to say - i have been awake all night, fretting over comments made by my significant other. sometimes i am just tired of it all. i too, want to be creative, and so much gets in the way including sorting out my feelings about relationships. reading about your struggles helped me to accept today that we all have a crock of poop that we have to wade thru each day. and tomorrow, i will have to work again on accepting that fact. in between there are moments of a life that i think would be more pleasant. i guess i'm gonna work on making those moments last longer and try to tolerate the mess in between.
    anyway, your blog helped me today. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, it's nice to know that I'm not alone when I surf other's blogs. I feel your frustration! We certainly do all have our crock full some days, and sometimes for too many days in a row! My goal this next week is to lock myself in my garage studio, crank the music and ignore the snitty comment makers for a day! Woohoo!!! Thank you for sharing your situation as well. We are NOT alone!

    ReplyDelete