June 18, 2011

The dust has settled

It's so nice to sit in the studio, even if it is just to upload photos from the camera to the computer, then the computer to the web.  I played a little with Corel and my Bamboo tablet for a little artsy fun too.  It's been too long!

My first big time commitment was having my "old" friend Julie visit for a week from Georgia.  We had not seen each other since we were in Middle School in 1974!  I was nervous, hoping we'd still like each other.  What a terrific and pleasant surprise.  I'm sure I blabbered her ears off (I'm so shy ;-) because she was remarkably easy to talk with and laugh!  We laughed a lot and it was so much fun.  We enjoyed a lot of wine on the deck in the evenings and got to know each other again.  I only wish I'd had a little makeup handy before I said, "Cheese!"  Hahaha.

Next came getting the house ready for my charming husband's birthday celebration.  Why, oh why, do I decide to make major improvements right before a party?  This is going to sound so shallow, but I was nervous about his Orange County co-workers coming to our little (old) house for the first time and seeing peeling plaster around the front door, the unfinished bathroom in the laundry room that I was sure would be used.  I made myself bonkers, but the house sure looks great.  We had a wonderful gathering of friends and enjoyed a fantastic backyard barbecue, catered so that we could really enjoy our friends.  It was just the best.

My sister and her children will be visiting from MN in early July, but they are the easiest and most relaxing house guests in the world.  It will be nice to enjoy time with family, especially since Lisa is an artist and inspires me so much.  We are plotting projects or swaps that we can do together, motivating me to get back into the swing of things.  I look at my friend Debbie's work and re-read her advice often, encouraging me to do something every day.  Now I can again.  Time to work on that balance between being a mom and making art.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you have had a great time with friends,I am so pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. It was so stressful getting ready, but we're still enjoying the flowers a week later. I'm so happy to be back in the studio!

    ReplyDelete