August 26, 2011

I'll Never Be Donna Reed.

I'm having a really good time plotting the design for the little rocking chair I'm painting and love checking the mail and finding more fabric for the quilt has arrived.  I feel like I should sport a string of pearls and kitten heels or an apron.  Just call me Betty Crocker.

Starting a new art project has often been a real challenge for me.  How often have I fussed about that dilemma?  Sitting in a studio surrounded by a million different art supplies isn't motivating and often results in time spent less productively than if I were just roaming the house and doing chores.  I have to keep in mind when I'm cursing in frustration near the studio window that there are little kids next door.  Oops.

This evening I'll have my favorite six-year-old visiting for a bit while her mom works late.  She always wants to play in the studio which gets me thinking about new and simpler ways to use the art stuff I have on hand.  Of course, then there's the challenge of trying to get through the evening without the little smarty pants calling me a bird killer.  Two times she's come over and those are the days the kamikaze finches do their thing.  She's under the impression that I must have a hand in the death of the birds because there's just always a dead twirper near the bird feeder.  Her first words are always, "So, any dead birds?" at which point she stomps over to the bird feeder and gives me a look of total surprise when she DOESN'T find one.  Well, I started off thinking it would be a fun evening.  Now I feel like I need a lawyer.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment