December 4, 2012

Trying to Make It Work

We survived the month-plus in the rental house with all of the parrots screaming in the tree across the street, the constant thunder of big trucks, the ding-a-linging of the train crossing and the parade of university students that made it nearly impossible to back out of my driveway without taking a life.  Ugh!  It was harder than anticipated. 

We moved into the new house earlier than we'd expected, that coming with its own challenges.  My poor husband tried taking a couple of days off to help unpack, but the phone rang incessantly from his office and he ended up just working from a cell phone.  We've wrestled with cooties, rain, a seriously ill cat (my studio kitty was seriously misdiagnosed by the previous vet, but Tabitha is much better now), house guests (one of which was the most wonderful help with unpacking and more) and every day cut short on both ends due to my having to commute my son to school at varying hours every day.  I'm tired, and my "studio" looks like this:


It's dreadful.  The movers quite literally dumped the contents of my studio desk into boxes and slapped them shut with a tape gun.  In my old studio, I came to realize that I had to get organized so I didn't spend most of every day hunting for one little thing or another, using a rolodex to document the location of every little bit and bobble.  I would look up embroidery needles, and the little card would remind me they were in the bottom left drawer of the desk.  So much for that rolodex.  I found a couple of my art tiles broken, a wire sculpture piece I'd been working on for months smashed flat, and just flat out chaos.  I'm trying to make the space work as a studio, but so far I've had little luck and even less time.

My silver lining is that my crazy, chubby psychotic kitty Charlotte is happy, happy, happy with no more trucks, trains, parrots or jackhammers.  She is off of her anti-anxiety medicine and appears to be enjoying the stairs, getting exercise like the rest of us, whether we want to or not.

This week is about trying to unpack the last of the boxes, pick paint colours for the first floor of the house, decorate for Christmas and not lose my mind in the process.  I think there won't be time for much art for a while, but I can always plot, plan and sketch until I DO find the time.

Until then, there's always chardonnay :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment